[Wine] Problem creating shortcut

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri May 21 12:32:36 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 12:00 -0500, MindGap wrote:
> dimesio wrote:
> >
> > MindGap wrote:
> > >
> > > Aside some permission troubles, which are now solved, I was able to run this setup successfully in KDE using the "work path" field in launcher's properties.
> > > The problem is that now I'm using gnome and there's no such field in launcher's properties.
> > >
> > > Could someone please enlight my path?
> > >

> > Write a shell script that cds to the correct directory and starts the program, and point the launcher at that.
>

> Hi dimesio and thank you for your reply!
>
> >From your sugestion I realised it was possible to mount the network share, cd into it and launch wine from there. I tried that and it worked!
>
> Now I'm working on making the mount permanent and creating the script, which I confess is going to be a major pain in the *** because I've never made one before.
>
> I believe the script should be someting like this but i'm unsure of the correct syntax:

Try something like this:

================== start of my_exe_script ========================
#!/bin/bash

#
# If you're using a separate wine_prefix for this application
# include the following line where .wine_my_exe is the prefix name
#
export WINEPREFIX="~/.wine_my_exe

cd /mounted_share
wine my_exe form_name db_login/db_pass at db_sid

=================== end of my_exe_script =========================

After you've made the script, run the command "chmod u+x my_exe_script"
to make it executable and try it out by typing "my_exe_script" on the command line.
Then you can create a launcher that references your script, assign a
suitable icon and you're done.

In addition its a good idea to:
1) create a directory called 'bin' in your login directory
2) put the script there
3) edit .bash_profile adding the line:
       export PATH=.:$HOME/bin:$PATH
4) logout and login again

This gives you a place, $HOME/bin , to put your script(s) in and
includes it in your user's search path.

Martin