[Wine] Need Help debugging a Java based windows application to run

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon May 24 06:16:18 CDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 18:30 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> pd1980 wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am trying to run a java based communication client developed for winidows to run on Ubuntu/Wine.
> >
> > First I tried installing the app without having JRE under Wine, it halted with an error while installing JRE. So, I installed JRE separately under wine and then the application. It installed correctly.
> >
> > Now, when I run the application, it starts (I can see it under the process list) and then crashes (the process disappears).
> >
> > I tried running the app through command line using the following.
> > export WINEDEBUG=1 ; wine /path/tp/app.exe
> >
> > Here is the output.
> >
> > fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x327800) using GetSystemInfo()
> > USER.DIR=Z:\home\androit
> > USER.DIR=Z:\home\androit
> >
> This is a Java error that is coming from the lack of Eclipse support.
> You may need to install Eclipse for Windows...
> > java.lang.NullPointerException
> > 	at java.io.File.<init>(Unknown Source)
> > 	at com.company.app.findCurrentVersion(Unknown Source)
> > 	at com.company.app.main(Unknown Source)
> > 	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Unknown Source)

Eclipse is not needed: java.io.File is a standard library class and is
part of the JRE install.

"app.exe" isn't a standard Java way of running an application: its
probably some sort of wrapper round the "java JavaApplication" command
that starts the JVM and it evidently didn't set JAVA_HOME or the
classpath.

To the OP: make sure your run-time environment sets the JAVA_HOME
environment variable as explained in the installation notes for the JRE.
That should allow your application to find the standard class libraries.

The easiest way of doing this may be to use a wrapper script that sets
JAVA_HOME and any other environment variables you need before it issues
the "wine ...." command.

Martin