[Wine] Need Help debugging a Java based windows application to run

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon May 24 18:51:47 CDT 2010

> I tried the following on the command line, and it still gives the same error.
>
> Code:
>
> export JAVA_HOME=/home/pd/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Java/jre6/bin/java;

You might try:

export JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6"

because JAVA_HOME should point to the root of the JRE version, not the
JVM executable. In addition the Windows JRE and/or the wrapper EXE are
going to expect an absolute path with that format and its not obvious to
me whether wine will detect and modify absolute paths supplied as
environment variables.

> export WINEDEBUG=1 ;
> wine /path/tp/app.exe
>

> FYI, I installed jre into wine using the windows installer jre-6u20-windows-i586-s.exe.
> I also have java installed into my linux host separately.
> I am setting JAVA_HOME to bin/java located inside wine directory.

Have you checked that this is being overridden by the wine version?
Using a simple script like this:

#!/bin/bash
export JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6"
echo "JAVA_HOME=$JAVA_HOME"
export WINEDEBUG=1
cd /path/tp
wine app.exe

will save you typing as you experiment. I suggest that you change the
wine invocation since many Windows programs expect that their load
directory is also their current working directory and I know nothing
about the expectations of app.exe in this regard.

Martin