[Wine] Need help with Wine and Forex MT4??

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon May 24 22:36:04 CDT 2010

On 2010-05-25 (May, Tuesday) 02:26:33 SurferMan wrote:
> I downloaded the mt4.exe file, now what? Soooo confused on prefixes or
> what to do, I am just way to use to the easiness of windows.

	You can change current Wine prefix by exporting WINEPREFIX environment variable
and run wineboot to create new Wineprefix. In Windows you have to install
Windows again. Managing many prefixes (which are imitations of many isolated
installations of Windows) is much easier than managing multiple installations
of Windows, I really do not see "easiness of windows" you are talking about.
And you didn't said why you need multiple Wine prefixes.
	In case of MetaTrader only difference between Windows and Wine that you have to
install vcrun6 before trying to install MetaTrader (that's the answer to your
question "what to do" - install vcrun6 and install MetaTrader, that's just one
more step if you are comparing Wine with Windows).

	As I recommended you before, if MetaTrader is only application you want to use
or you don't care about maximizing long-term stability (of MetaTrader), you can
install it in the default Wine prefix:

mv ~/.wine ~/.wine.old
wineboot
winetricks vcrun6
wine start /unix /path/to/metatrader4/setup.exe

	In you case "/path/to/metatrader4/setup.exe" would be the path to mt4.exe.

> Read the faq etc and still way confused

	I'm not sure what you are confused about. Reading FAQ is good but why? So far
I gave you answers to absolutely all questions you asked. What's the problem
you are trying to solve?

> I need someone to lay out exactly what to do like do this, now do that, now
> dow this.

	I gave you exact steps what to do more than a week ago (how to install and run
MetaTrader with clean Wine+winetricks). But you started to ask questions about
Wine prefixes without even explaining why you need to use non-default Wine prefix
for one application.

	I'm not sure what's your problem. You cannot input commands I
gave you (that's exactly two steps - copy&paste commands and
edit the path in the last one and that's all - MetaTrader is installed and
ready to use) or something else (maybe you forgot to install winetricks?)?
Please ask specific questions because you already have step-by-step instructions
what to do in order to install and run MetaTrader with Wine - if you cannot
follow them you need to explain why or it will not be possible to help you.