[Wine] RS232 connection

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed May 26 06:22:05 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 12:16 -0500, Giorgio wrote:
> I installed Board Master a software that control a CNC machine to produce PCB (Printed Circuit Board).
> The software install flawlessly but to check if it works I need RS232 working to control CNC machine.
> I tried to set connection parameters in Board Master choosing COM1 (the only available) but CNC machine don't move and software keep asking for switching machine on.
> Of course software and CNC works in Windows XP.
>
> 1) is RS232 working on Wine ?

It works for me, both on COM1 and COM2 and a 6 serial port PCI card.

> 2) if yes how can I check it ?

There about three possibilities:

- use a break-out box to see the levels of the serial port pins
  and whether they change as expected when its in the cable between
  the PC and the CNC machine.

- beg, borrow or steal a datascope and use it as above. This will let
  you see the text of the messages.

- get hold of a null-modem cable (Tx and Rx lines are crossed in a null
  modem cable) and use it to connect the port you're driving with Wine
  to a spare port on the same or another machine. Then you can use any
  serial comms program to see what is sent. Good Linux programs to use
  would be minicom or Kermit - the minicom package should be part of
  your distro but kermit probably isn't - get it from
  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html

Martin