[Wine] Solidworks and .net...

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Wed May 26 08:05:31 CDT 2010

> As most of the functions seems to work with wine without ms dotnet
> installation, I was wondering : does wine supposed to offer complete
> replacement of dotnet framework ?

If you install the Windows version of Mono (which currently supports
.NET 3.5; they're working on 4.0), Wine can use it instead of .NET.
See http://wiki.winehq.org/Mono

Wine ships with some registry keys and files that installers check to
decide whether .NET is present. This is so that they do not insist on
installing .NET if you prefer to use Mono.

This should ideally be a complete .NET replacement, but at the moment
it's very incomplete and what is there usually doesn't work very well.

Beating Wine and Mono into shape would be a lot of work, and very
little work is going into it currently.

Still, if your software doesn't work in Wine with Mono installed, you
can file a bug.