[Wine] RS232 connection

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed May 26 10:34:29 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 09:48 -0500, Giorgio wrote:
> Thank you very much for your detailed and complete answer.
> I forgot an important detail: the system is dual boot, Windows XP and Mandriva 2010.0. Using Windows on the same pc CNC and software works. So probably RS232 hardware works. Anyway I'll try to get a null modem or a datascope to check.
> Waiting for signal check is there any setting I need to have RS232 working ?
> Or a software check for RS232 in Wine?
> Is there anything like a terminal in Wine ?

There is a Windows version of Kermit but its not free. There was also a
DOS version called MSkermit. You could look for those on the main Kermit
site.

Writing programs that use serial comms under Windows or DOS is a
nightmare because neither OS provides a serial comms API. As a result
everybody rolls their own hardware drivers or buys in 3rd party serial
comms libraries. Some of these approaches work better than others. It
would not be surprising if some of them are incompatible with Wine.

Martin