[Wine] Silent Hunter 4 1.5 on MacOS X/Wine 1.2-rc2

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun May 30 12:16:06 CDT 2010

Ktulu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried to run SH4 1.5 on my Mac (MacOS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard) but it crashes even before the menus can be displayed because of some unimplemented D3DX call (D3DXCreateTextureFromFileExA) in D3DX9_36.dll.
>
> I used Wine version 1.2-rc2.

Where did you get your copy of Wine from?

> According to the AppDB, several persons who ran it on Linux got the menus working.
>
> How is it possible that running SH4 on Linux doesn't trigger that error ? AFAIK, the Direct3D implementation is the same for all Unix systems (I checked the source code.)

This is because of the difference in the underlying functions in the
UNIX code between Linux and MacOSX, not in the Wine code.

Is there a demo version of this program available so that I and other
Mac users, can look into this?

Also, you might want to run the program from Terminal and then create a
logging file as described in the FAQ and then open a bug report on
Wine's Bugzilla.  This problem seems to be isolated to the Mac build of
Wine only, but this also may be a regression that needs to be addressed
before Wine 1.2 is released.

Thank you.