[Wine] BoneTown errors

Renara wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 30 12:53:28 CDT 2010

Dunno how many people are familiar with BoneTown since it's an adult game, but I recently tried it using Wine 1.44 on Mac OS X.6.3.

Now, firstly I had to use a no-CD crack since secuROM doesn't work yet on OS X, and it seems to work fine, except that I get an assertion failed error on start-up that I can't figure out how to debug. If anyone wishes to try and replicate the issue then I can supply the no-CD executable but it'll still require a copy of the game, just e-mail me if you need it.

I've already used winetricks to install DirectX 9.0c (and 10.0 as well I think) so DirectX should be up to date unless there's an unknown bug at work.

When I open the game I get the following error:

Code:
Assertion failed!

Program: C:\Program Files\BoneTown\BownTown.exe
File: ..\engine\gfx\D3D\DXDiagNVUtil.cpp
Line: 868

Expression: false

Hitting "Ignore" then yields the following error:

Code:
The application requires the December 2005 DirectX 9.0c or later.
Press OK to install December 2005 DirectX 9.0c, or Cancel to exit.

Offering to install it just fails and gives a couple similar messages.
The first error looks like a reference to a source-code file which of course I don't have handy, I'm just wondering if there's a way to debug it to find out what the assertion actually was that failed to try and get an idea of where the problem lies? Or if anyone has had similar trouble in WINE and know how to solve it? Thanks!

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!