[Wine] Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion sound problems

kilobot6 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 31 22:35:34 CDT 2010

Hey all, this will be my first post on the forum.

I am new to Linux (and subsequently WINE), having only recently ported over from windows to save me an outrageous $180 for an OS (and general prodding by a friend). Thus, I do not yet know much about terminal commands, but can use them.

To the main topic. As the title may have hinted at, Oblivion has sound problems. The launcher plays music properly, so do the ads etc. in the opening screen. There is even music *gasp* for the main menu. However, there roll over and click sounds are gone and, once I start a game, there are no sounds except for voices.

I am truly rather miffed at this issue, seeing as Oblivion is a Platinum rated program for wine.
Additionally, other programs too have missing sound, such as Neverwinter Nights.

Help would be rather appreciated so I am not forced to get windows anyway to dual boot or run in a virtual machine.

(When I exit Oblivion, the screen freezes with whatever I was last looking at in game, but that is a separate problem to be tackled later or never, as the case may be.)

Linux Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Wine version 1.2-rc1