[Wine] Is it possible to configure OpenGL software rendering?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 3 14:01:45 CDT 2010

tigono <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>thanks for your infos. The problem is a documented opengl bug in xquartz that was not fixed in the last 2 years (fbconfig
>buffer issue). So it would be fine to do the same as e.g. in virtualbox where you have software rendering support of
>opengl ...

Don't know what you are referring to as far as the bug (would be nice to provide a bug report number.)  There may be a workaround that I'm unaware of that allows configuration for software GL support only in XQuartz.  I have not experienced this particular problems.

There is and has been much progress in the XQuartz project.  What version of the product are you using at the present time?

Software support for OpenGL depends mainly on the program.  For instance, I run several of the Quake/Doom games under Wine for games testing.  All of them have software GL support as well as Hardware GL support.  I have to select software in the game options and then GL support is provided by the particular game.  There may also be a registry setting that you can set to force OpenGL support by Wine vice D3D support.

As far as Wine is concerned, OpenGL is provided by the underlying operating system or hardware.

James McKenzie