[Wine] Re: EnumDisplayDevicesW crash

janosdre wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 3 14:28:06 CDT 2010

Thanks for the reply vitamin. That other poster was me. At least I'm not chatting with myself anymore.   :D

You are absolutely right, though.

I had to reinstall them, since it broke the video rendering. I had this problem earlier with watching videos. Every second or so, the screen would go blank. I solved it by installing these driver. After I removed the drivers, the problem came back.

This setback actually helped me get ahead and at least I managed to install the game. This is further then I got before.

What I noticed is that both glxinfo and fglrxinfo gave me segmentation fault. After removing the propriatery drivers, glxinfo ran fine.
However, any attempt to play the game resulted in a crash, or at least a messed up screen. It usually drops to a very low resolution.

I have now reinstalled fglrx.

Code:

~$ dpkg -l fglrx*
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Név                                         Verzió                                      Leírás
+++-============================================-============================================-========================================================================================================
ii  fglrx                                        2:8.723.1-0ubuntu5                           Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators
ii  fglrx-amdcccle                               2:8.723.1-0ubuntu5                           Catalyst Control Center for the ATI graphics accelerators
un  fglrx-control                                <nincs>                                      (nincs leírás)
un  fglrx-control-qt2                            <nincs>                                      (nincs leírás)
ii  fglrx-modaliases                             2:8.723.1-0ubuntu5                           Identifiers supported by the ATI graphics driver

FYI, I have Kubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Linx running.
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9200 SE, 128 MB

One more note: with fglrx installed I no longer have composting capability on the desktop? Go figure!

According to this link, I should edit the xorg.conf file:
http://wiki.winehq.org/fglrx

Now the problem, I am facing is that there is no xorg.conf file any more on Kubuntu. They gave way to auto detection. The good news, is that it can be created. It requires me to leave the desktop environment and revert to the console. Whenever I do this, my screen goes blank, then my monitor looses the signal and turns off. No way to get anything back on the screen again.

I know I got a bit off topic at the end with this being a wine forum, but someone might be in the exact same situation.

Anyways, I will try to get the xorg.conf file and the try the suggestion by the wine wiki. I'll come back with the results.

If anyone can help me in the meantime. Please leave a comment.

Thx,
Janos.