[Wine] SimCity4 wants to do a VGA display, but wine gives me an HD

A Nonny Moose wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 10 15:53:53 CST 2010

I get an HD display with this program, and a system lockup into the bargain.  I can't even get in with the three finger salute.

I had to use the Magic Sysrq keys to safely close the system and reboot.  At least nothing was lost, and I got the system back.

wine 1.3.6 freshly compiled this hour
UBUNTU 10.10 AMD64 updated after lunch.

Here is the application log:
[code]
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 94 (SPI_GETMOUSETRAILS)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32efd8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32ef04,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f5bc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f2e4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8ad, disabling mixer
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x21b040,0x21b468): stub
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_BltZ (0x1d97dc0): Unsupp depthstencil blit
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_location Unimplemented location SFLAG_INSYSMEM for depth/stencil buffers.
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DBaseSurfaceImpl_Blt Can't handle WINEDDBLT_ASYNC flag right now.
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_BltZ (0x1d1888): Unsupp depthstencil blit
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_location Unimplemented location SFLAG_INSYSMEM for depth/stencil buffers.
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_location Unimplemented location SFLAG_INSYSMEM for depth/stencil buffers.
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_Unmap Depth Stencil buffer locking is not implemented
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f538,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f538,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:imm:ImmGetOpenStatus (0x12eed0): semi-stub
fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x2002a, 0x12eed0): stub
[/code]
Maybe one of the fixme's is the clue to this, but this is way beyond me.

I would make a screenshot available but there is no way to get one.

If you want a list of my hard ware, I have an HTML page that I can make available output from lshw.

The graphics chip set is an AMD/ATI (fusion) 760G [Radeon 3000].  If runs VGA just fine except in this particular instance.  Somehow it gets the idea that SC4RH is an HD program (written in 2000-2002, hah!).

I think this is not really a wine bug, but new hardware we haven't seen before.  Could there be a winetricks or two and maybe some new stuff for the registry that will get by this?  The AMD site was hinting at DirectX 11.