[Wine] VServer > Wine > Xserver

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 15 08:35:33 CST 2010

JohnBenard <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>The Problem: I do not want to run VNC(security reason) and i do not need to see the gui to control the application anyway.
>I want to be able to login over SSH with putty and to start it there. Then i am also able to make a autostart and it is
>not necessary to open a VNC connection first to run it. However, if i try to run the application just with putty over ssh
>it just says:
>Code:
>Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
>Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

You need some sort of X client/host or Wine will not work properly if you use the out-of-the-box Wine that comes with Debian.

>So, is it technically possible to run as example notepad(same error) with just using putty over ssh?

See comment above.  You CANNOT run a text only application in Wine without invoking the need to display a window.  That is what DOSBox is for.

BTW, notepad uses Windows windowing functions and thus is not a text only application as stated in the previous paragraph.

James McKenzie