[Wine] VServer > Wine > Xserver

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 15 09:32:12 CST 2010

vitamin <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>JohnBenard wrote:
>> I use wine to start a windows application which needs to open a gui.
>> So, is it technically possible to run as example notepad(same error) with just using putty over ssh?
>
>Not with plain ssh connection. To run GUI app Wine needs to create windows thus requiring X. You can use one of virtual X servers instead.

Vitamin:

Do this all the time.  Set up PuTTY to forward X calls and then run the Xserver with the DISPLAY variable set to the target machine.  On the target machine, I run an X client (XWin32, commercial software) and it works for what I need to do.  VNC should also be able to run across the ssh tunnel in this fashion.  This looks like a good thing to use Google for.

James McKenzie