[Wine] How to specify a working directory for an app

3tips wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 19 02:14:53 CST 2010

Hi,

I have a game that I want to run multiple instances of. This game creates a mutex to prevent this. That kind of limits my options on getting this to work. I also want to run it in a virtual desktop, side-by-side.

So I copied my .wine directory to .wine2. I created a launcher for the game with the command:

Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine2" wine "/home/username/Desktop/gamefolder/game.exe"

And this works until the game needs to use a file in its directory. At that point I get a "umm this file isn't here" message.

Not really knowing what I'm doing, I decided to try

Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine2"; cd "home/username/Desktop/gamefolder/"; wine "/home/username/Desktop/gamefolder/game.exe"

But it didn't like that either.

How can I specify a starting/working directory for this game?

I'm on Ubuntu, running all this from a single user account. The game works fine if I simply click the .exe file using the default wine setup.