[Wine] Weird Permission Issues

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Nov 29 14:53:18 CST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 14:35 -0600, iamsmrt wrote:

> After much googling and wine databasing I pretty much gave up but
> randomly tried wine with sudo priveleges. Ta-da! Everything worked.

Never do that unless you want to get taken over by rootkits, trojans,
etc. Root is for sysadmin, not running random applications. The only
things that should be run as root are upgrades, backups and some system
services.

> What could possibly be the issue? I don't really feel like running as
> root every time I want to play a wine game.

Since 32 bit Wine currently works rather better than 64 bit wine, you
could always install a 32 bit distro.

Martin