[Wine] Performance problems with bitmaphandling on mac (only)

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Tue Nov 30 06:52:23 CST 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 2:00 AM, mattsbg wrote:

> after doing more investigations I found out, that the problem does not occur in Crossover. Performance is really great with their version, despite the fact that I have a new problem there with rendering richedits 2 bitmaps (i didn't have time to track this down yet).
>
> Any ideas whats working different here?

It's probably an aspect of our custom X11 server and libraries.  In particular, our implementation of the MIT-SHM X extension.

That extension is defined in terms of the SysV shared memory API.  However, on Mac OS X, the kernel limits on SysV shared memory are so severe that it's effectively crippled.  I have reimplemented a SysV workalike based on the POSIX shared memory API, which doesn't face such restrictions, and then used that for the MIT-SHM extension.

We can do that because our X11 is special-purpose.  It's not suitable for a general-purpose X11 environment, and only works because we control both the X server and the only X client that ever connects to it (Wine).

> Of course crossover would be an alternative for me if I get the richtext rendering to work.

I don't have any immediate guess about the richedit rendering issue, but this isn't the proper forum for discussing that.  (The WineHQ folks can't be expected to know or care about our non-standard variant of Wine.)  If you wish, you can open a support ticket at our website.

Cheers,
Ken