[Wine] Re: Trouble installing packages with Winetricks

F_style wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Oct 2 14:25:55 CDT 2010

First, I apologize, I think I was being too stubborn and need to let the past go.

Back to the point, of course that all this time I was making the installation in clean wineprefixes with each try. All this time I have been focusing on one: DBabble.

Now, either the DBabble's installer and executer don't leave a single message in the console. I use "wine (name of the .exe)" in the console for them. Installer seems to run with no problem, it installs the app. The problems come when executing the app itself. It pops a Window which title is "DBabble program error", but no text, and mouse pointer doesn't work nor appear over this window. So I had to kill the process. No log or messages in the console where I run Wine. The most I managed to do about this is making the text and pointer to work by installing the Visual C++ 6 and Windows Common Controls packages with Winetricks, but the error text is totally useless: just says it found an unexpected error and contact the authors. I closed this window, DBabble closed itself and Wine poped an execution error. But I don't think contacting the authors will work: DBabble did work on Wine, it's just a matter of what the previous configurer did.

I haven't taken a look to the "debugging Wine" link yet. I'll do right now and see if I find something. Thanks.