[Wine] Sins of a solar empire buggy since kernel update

g4rl!c wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Oct 4 18:44:25 CDT 2010

Greetings,

i'm using Ubuntu 10.4 and the game used to run almost perfectly for me on wine installed from the 1.1.42-0ubuntu4+winepulse0.36~ppa1 package.
However, after doing an update of the kernel of my OS something odd happened. The game starts, sound works and using the menus seem to be working as well, however the screen stays black. (I clicked around a bit blindly since i knew where the buttons were and got confirmation sounds in the right order)
Sadly i can't guarantee for the reliability of the next information, but i think it happened when upgrading from version 2.6.32.21.22 of the kernel-image(updated the headers-package at the same time too) to version
2.6.32.24.25. The reason i can't completely confirm this, is that i am running version 2.6.32.25.27 at the moment and all i know is it happened with the update before the last one. The numbers given above are just guesses since those 3 are the only versions available atm through the standard repositories of synaptic.
I hope the infos posted are of any use and would like to hear from you.
Best regards,

g4rl!c.