[Wine] running 16 bit real mode executables on mac

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Thu Oct 7 13:32:29 CDT 2010

On 10/7/10 12:22 PM, trusktr wrote:
> Hey guys, i know this post is old, but i'm also having the same problem.
>
> I'm trying to compile MASM 6.1.5 programs in wine, and using ml.exe compiles and links everything perfectly and outputs a .exe file with no complaints.
>
> Then, when i try and run the program it give me an error like
>
> Code:
> fixme:module:__wine_load_dos_exe DOS executables not supported on this platform
> winevdm: can't exec 'Z:\home\trusktr\projects\school\fall2010\cisp310_assembly\random2\main.exe': invalid program file
>

> If i run the .EXE file in DosBox, then it works just fine. How can i get these 16bit apps that I'm making working in Wine?
Short answer: you can't. Use DOSBox.

Long answer: The XNU kernel (the one used by Mac OS X) doesn't support
virtual-8086 mode, which is needed for Wine to be able to run DOS
executables. It might be possible to add this support, but Apple will
never get to that anytime soon.

Another possibility is to integrate support for DOSBox straight into
Wine. This has been discussed on wine-devel, but to date no one has
implemented it.

Chip