[Wine] compiling Wine with GCC

Bryan Baldwin bryan at katofiad.co.nz
Mon Oct 11 17:58:20 CDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 11:28 AM, ChaosFurry wrote:
> Hey,
>
> A question of a Tux/Wine Newbie. There's a how-to using Xfire with wine in the appdb, I shall compile it from source using GCC-4.5. But I only know how to compile a single file with it or using the standard 'make' command, how it's shown in the Wine-Wiki. I googled for a tutorial, but didn't found anything. Can anyone help me with it giving a small help?
>
> In thanks,
> CF

I do the following:

* make a directory for building projects from source, eg. $HOME/devel
* cd to your newly created build directory
* shell> git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git
        - this makes a directory "wine" inside your build directory
          and downloads the most recent version of the source
* shell> cd wine
* shell> ./configure --verbose
        - at the end of configuration, missing dependencies will
          be listed---supply these from your distribution's
          repositories, or build them, too
        - rerun this command at any time to refresh yourself as to
          which dependencies are still missing
        - this command must be ran at least once with no dependency
          warnings before proceeding with make
* shell> make
* shell> make DESTDIR=$( ./wine --version ) install
        - makes a directory named by the version of wine just built
* shell> cd $( ./wine --version )
* root# tar cf - * | ( cd /; tar xf - )

You can always uninstall the files by navigating back to the DESTDIR
directory and executing:
* root# find * -type f | while read i; do rm -v /"${i}"; done

*DON'T* make typos when executing the last command. You absolutely have
to be cd'ed into the original DESTDIR matching the installation of WINE
you are removing *BEFORE* executing. If you f*ck this up in even the
tiniest most insignificant way, you could potentially destroy your
entire operating system installation and personal data. You have been
*WARNED*. I accept *NO* responsibility for clumsy fingers.

This will not remove any dangling directories left behind by WINE, or
any files generated by WINE at runtime (which is a good thing since it
will leave your WINEPREFIX directories intact). It also doesn't
integrate with your distribution's package management. Such integration
is beyond the scope of this advice.

	Bryan