[Wine] installing wine on windows?

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon Oct 18 13:53:47 CDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 17:34, DaVince <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I don't think 16-bit applications would work on a 64-bit system, period. Unless you use a true emulator like DOSBox (in which you can run Windows 3.1 so you can run those 16-bit apps).

16-bit protected mode applications have no problems. Real-mode
application might have problems... (Figuring out what exactly is
supported in Long mode's compatibility mode is a bit of a mission)
(Compatibility mode allows running 16/32-bit protected mode
applications, but documentation about the support for v86 mode is hard
to find..) (Wikipedia state that it is unsupported, but without any
references. Dosemu works with some kernel patches, not sure how they
work) They can be found here: http://v86-64.sourceforge.net/

Many real-mode applications are supposed to be runnable in protected
mode, but this is not always the case in practice.... (and few
applications attempt it) This gives the rules for which real-mode
application will work unmodified under (16-bit) protected mode:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_mode#Real_mode_application_compatibility

Gert