[Wine] Re: Fallout: New Vegas?

GrdLock wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Oct 22 17:55:38 CDT 2010

I've been able to get the game to run, sort of.

Running a freshly installed copy of wine, I installed d3dx9 and vcrun2008 with winetricks.

My only problem is that FalloutNVLauncher crashes, so I'm not able to set the graphics settings. I've been trying to figure out what exactly the Launcher modifies to set graphics settings, but I haven't figured it out.

I can get the game to launch running wine in windowed mode, but the resolution is set really low by default (640x480 I think), and it's tiny. And in that state, the graphics are choppy, too choppy to play. I need to be able to adjust the settings, but every time I run the launcher it has a msvcp90.dll error and crashes. If I run fallout in full screen, it switches my resolution to 640x480, which on a 24" monitor is horrid, and the keys lockup and I can't get past the intro screens.

Anyone have any idea how the game does the graphics settings? There's nothing in the register. I see some .ini files for graphics settings in the main game directory, but I don't know how to load those. Perhaps the launcher puts the settings into the falloutdefaults ini file, and that's the settings that get loaded? If so, I still don't see any settings for the actual screen resolution.