[Wine] Re: Wine with Ati 3d Card

motub wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Oct 23 19:12:35 CDT 2010

iceb wrote:
> Closed source what is that ?

'Closed-source' refers to the proprietary drivers from AMD/ATI themselves. This means that the drivers are generated from the complete source code, including the code for the 'secret' (proprietary, industrial secret) features of the hardware, which they of course do not reveal to 'competitors'. The 'open-source' drivers that you are most likely using are generated from portions of the source code that AMD/ATI has released, allowing Linux developers to create 'free' drivers that enable basic features of the relevant cards, but do not exploit the full capacity of the hardware (because those capacities are proprietary to AMD/ATI, and if they told, "anyone" could make such a card, so to speak).

iceb wrote:
> Can u give me direct links to those ?
 You don't need a link, though you could go to the AMD/ATI site and download the drivers by hand, just as you may have done under Windows. However, a wiser course is suggested by the Ubuntu documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto):

Basic Installation Instructions

The easiest way to install binary drivers is to use the built in Hardware Drivers manager in Ubuntu.

In Ubuntu 10.04 and 9:10 this is found under System->Administration->Hardware Drivers.

Note:In Ubuntu 10:10 Hardware Drivers is now named additional Drivers

Detailed instructions can be found at BinaryDriverHowto/ATI (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI)

iceb wrote:
> I have no problems what so ever running
> any games in windows xp ......

No, of course not-- there is no such thing as 'open-source' video card drivers for Windows. There, you're using the proprietary ATI drivers by default.

iceb wrote:
> So shall I buy another card ? Or is it fixable ? Without
> changing hardware ?
Of course you don't have to buy another card; you just have to install the proper drivers for the one you have. No need to panic :) .

Good luck.

Holly