[Wine] Different Resolution in a Wine Window Possible?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 26 12:38:06 CDT 2010

doh123 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Wine will not scale graphics to change their sizes... if the graphics is trying to draw 20 pixels by 20 pixels, its going
>to do the same in Wine as on Windows and draw it 20 pixels by 20 pixels.

Actually, Wine cannot scale graphics, this is a function of the Window Manager system (X11 for most folks).  If this system cannot support scaling 1024x768 to full screen, neither can nor should Wine do this.  For instance, I have an older Thinkpad running Linux.  Scaling is done by hardware and thus a 1024x768 screen CAN be shown on the screen at 1600x1200.  The results are UGLY and pixelated.  So, I choose to show screens at that size as sub-windows on the desktop.

Scaling in software depends on the video driver and if supported can be done.  Again, Wine does not do this internally.

The answer to your original question is NO, Wine does not do what you desire. Only X11 or your windowing system can.

James McKenzie