[Wine] [Issues] Sound Locking up a program after a couple seconds.

ZeroOP wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Oct 27 12:53:59 CDT 2010

I'd like to play games on wine. This would make it so I can completely trash Windows as a whole, and the only thing keeping me from making Linux my main machine.

The problem is this. The game starts fine and it is really -flawless- gaming. The sound flips into a loop and the program locks up. (this happens at the same point in ever game... It's not a time issue. In EVE it's when you are loading after selecting a character. FF14 it's on the launching program. I have to force quit out of the program, not out of wine. Only the program has locked up.

If I can turn the sound off in the program quickly enough (which I can do with EVE Online only) I can play the game, but without sound, as long as I wish.

I currently run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and the latest development version (1.3.x) of wine (upgraded after hearing it helped - it did not). Both without any "custom" changes. My sound card is on my motherboard and I have no problems in Ubuntu.

I've tried runing just ALSA, Just OSS and I've tried running both at once. I've tried changing it to Emulation & Full hardware acceleration for all those settings. I've also tried fiddling with Sample rate and Bits per sample, however I haven't tried those in all possible options.

If there's any extra information you need please let me know. Any tips to resolve this problem would be great.

This has come up each and every time I've tried using Linux. It's been really frustrating me over YEARS.  [Shocked]

Is there a nice easy fix for this? All the "audio problems" I read though online aren't the problem i'm having, or so it seems....