[Wine] Star Sonata: Great start, then crash when accepting missions

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Oct 28 05:51:23 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 18:25 -0500, CorazonSierra wrote:
> for Star Sonata had several links that hadn't closed fully... (not
> sure how to post a link to a desktop capture for u to see) in the
> process monitor it says:
>
> Star Sonata | Zombie |      0      |     0     | 14684 |    N/A    |
> do_exit

A 'zombie' is a process that has started one or more child processes and
finished what it needed to do before its children have finished. The
rules say that it can't exit until its children have all died, so its
sitting and waiting for them the finish. Of course, if a child locks up
so it can't exit the zombie will also be there for ever. Next time this
happens, start a terminal window and run the game from it. When it
hangs, start a second window and run the command:

ps -fu xxx

where xxx is the name of the user you're logged in as. This will list
all processes running under that user and all zombies. We want to see
both, so post this list and the Wine log that was generated by the game
to somewhere like pastebin and tell us where to find them.

Meanwhile, here's a faster way of killing off the zombies. Note down the
name of one of the zombies (thats the right hand column) and run

killall -u xxx name

which will stop all processes with that name running under user xxx. If
the game has other processes with different names, use it on them too.
Be sure to include the -u xxx part, which restricts killall to just your
user: otherwise it really does kill all processes with that name no
matter who they belong to.

Martin

This isn't a cure, just a faster way to clean up.