[Wine] Re: How to reset Wine

motub wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Oct 30 08:48:09 CDT 2010

startmenu wrote:
> Hello everyone !
> Wine Version 1.3.6
> I delete the whole folder “/root/.wine" I usually use the root
> And how to  recover?
First of all, you should never run Wine as root, so it's a good thing that you deleted the whole folder.

Second, you do not recover a deleted .wine folder, assuming you actually deleted it and didn't just throw it in the Recycle Bin/Trash. If you had thrown it in the Trash, you could just put it back....but in your case, do not do so, because you must NEVER run Wine as root.

What you want to do is set Wine up as you normally do (meaning run winecfg and select your soundsystem, set your drives and so forth), but as your regular user, NOT AS ROOT. Then go ahead and install your applications to the /home/user_name/.wine folder as normal.

Wine is absolutely not meant to be run as root, and doing so breaks things, badly. In fact, whatever distribution of Linux you're using, is not in general designed to be run as root, and this is not recommended procedure. So please make an effort to get used to your regular user (and the 'sudo' command) and in any case, do not run Wine as root anymore.