[Wine] Re: Installing on to Wine from disk

mike0liver wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 3 09:45:02 CDT 2010

This is the instruction on the link you provided in your first posting: "Double-click on the installer, just like in Windows!". My CD drive provided an icon on the desktop which seemed the obvious thing to access installation and certainly provided access to the setup.exe installer icon on the disk - which I duly double-clicked. I don't know what to term it technically - it is a setup icon on a disk within the CD drive icon on the desktop.

As I believe I said, I am not that technical and have not had a great deal of experience with Linux. The Terminal command line is something of a mystery to me; I'm used to an OS (Windows XP) which doesn't require that aspect of running software. However, I feel that Linux is the future for me - it will just take time to get to grips with the way it works.

As a matter of interest, I have attempted to install a Windows game called "Sid Meier's Colonization". Everything seemed to go well and I now have an icon to launch the game on my desktop, However, when I double-click on it I get a "Serious Error" warning asking me to report the error to the Wine bugs website which I will happily do. I suspect this may have something to do with the DirectX requirements of the game. I'll try something less demanding and see if that works.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Mike