[Wine] Re: No sound, no information why, where to start?

atle wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Sep 12 03:03:33 CDT 2010

Hi jordan.

I have three computers in daily use, on two of them Wine works fine. And on the two which are working, I am able to use wine with sound at the same time as I am using Firefox and playing youtube Flash videos. And this is without pulse audio.

I am no expert on linux sound, so I don't know why this works, or why it shouldn't work.

I've read the FAQ's and man pages of Wine, and /dev/dsp is mentioned. Also testing write access to /dev/dsp to check if some other application is blocking the device. But as far as I understand, /dev/dsp is OSS related, and is not relevant for ALSA.

So my obvious question is:
 - does ALSA really also have the "only one access at a time" limitation mentioned?
 - if so, what trick allows me to play sound from multiple applications, including Wine, at the same time on two of my machines?

And as I mentioned, I am pretty sure I'm not using pulse audio.