[Wine] Re: No sound, no information why, where to start?

atle wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 13 14:37:48 CDT 2010

Hi jordan,

I think kmix is an application that only sets sound. But KDE uses its own phonon system, with a gstreamer, xine, mplayer or vlc backend

I did find that I have configured /etc/asoud.conf with a dmix set up at some point. I've disabled and rebooted, to check if there is anything different. Well, I lost my default device. aplay -D default doesn't work any more.

The strange thing is that if using gstreamer backend with KDE4, there is a device called default, as well as HD-Audio Generic, and hw:1,3. All of them working.

With dmix, I can start several aplay -D default, and play several streams on top of each other.

But no matter what I do, wine is refusing to play anything. The most frustrating part of that is the complete lack of information about what wine is trying, and why it fails.