[Wine] WoW error "failed to find a suitable display device.."

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Mon Sep 13 15:00:05 CDT 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:27:53 -0500
"Drinkjetfuel" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit, wine 1.3.2 and 2 ati 5770
> cards in crossfire.  I've upgraded the video drivers to the latest
> 10.8 version found on amd.ati.com
>
> When I try to run wow.exe I get the message "failed to find a
> suitable display device" this occurs with and w/o the -opengl flag.
>
> I've ran "glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"" and received "returns
> direct rendering:Yes"

Have you checked (maybe through synaptic?) to be sure that you have the
32 bit version of wine and the 32 bit version of the video drivers? On
a 64 bit system your video can work fine with the 64 bit drivers and
seem like everything is okay. But for 32 bit programs through wine,
such as WoW, you have to have 32 bit drivers for it use.