[Wine] No sound, no information why, where to start?

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 01:29:55 CDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:37 PM, atle <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hi jordan,
>
> I think kmix is an application that only sets sound. But KDE uses its own phonon system, with a gstreamer, xine, mplayer or vlc backend

Ya, I don't use KDE, i just naturally assume it plays a similar role
to Pulseaudio (which also can set sound).

> I did find that I have configured /etc/asoud.conf with a dmix set up at some point. I've disabled and rebooted, to check if there is anything different. Well, I lost my default device. aplay -D default doesn't work any more.

Ya, you probably didn't need to do that.

> The strange thing is that if using gstreamer backend with KDE4, there is a device called default, as well as HD-Audio Generic, and hw:1,3. All of them working.

That's kind of what i would expect to see.

> With dmix, I can start several aplay -D default, and play several streams on top of each other.

yup, that is part of dmix's function. However, lots of alsa
applications do hog the soundcard.

> But no matter what I do, wine is refusing to play anything. The most frustrating part of that is the complete lack of information about what wine is trying, and why it fails.

Have you tried a fresh install of Wine???   you can do this simply by
renaming your .wine folder (as to not lose anything), then try
uninstalling Wine.  After you have re-installed wine and all of it's
packages.  try winecfg then, and see if it will produce sound.  It
will create a new .wine ,  but if the sound works, then you could
replace it with your old .wine

Your problem is a weird one. For you to not have changed anything, and
it just stopped working. very odd.
I would try the clean install of wine and see if it makes a
difference. if it doesn't, there is a good chance it has little to do
with Wine, and more likely something to do with settings being messed
up somewhere on your machine,
maybe some type of corruption. Im not really sure.

sorry i don't have a solution. It's really hard to figure out, without
being in front of your machine..

As for speaker-test, don't bother. that isn't wine specific, just
Linux/ALSA specific. it wont help.

jordan