[Wine] Re: Installing Directx 9.0c problem

phatgeek wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Sep 19 15:45:31 CDT 2010

Hmm. I haven't done this before, but let me give it a shot.

First, to explain your error message: since you didn't provide a path for firefox.exe, and since it isn't in your current working directory (the directory you're in), wine automatically tried to find it in the system32 folder; not finding a file called firefox.exe, it choked.

It looks to me like the author used the winetricks script at
http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
to install Firefox and windows runtime libraries. If you have already done this (but see below), try running the command again from the directory where firefox.exe is installed. That's probably something like '/home/davide/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Firefox/' (note that you will have to put the path in quotes when you try to cd into it, because of the whitespace between "Program" and "Files").

example:
#> cd "/home/davide/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Firefox/"
#> WINEDEBUG=-all wine explorer /desktop=ffox,1024x768 ./firefox.exe &

You can find the actual path to firefox.exe like this:
#> find /home/davide/.wine | grep firefox.exe

Then just substitute it into the "cd" command above, followed by the wine command above (that starts with the assignment of "-all" to the variable "WINEDEBUG").

It appears that the game must be played within firefox, and firefox must run in a desktop window. There is an option with wine to emulate a windows window to run your app in.
The command above does this (wine explorer /desktop=ffox,1024,768 firefox.exe).

BTW, I downloaded the most current version of winetricks and looked at the list of packages you can install. I would recommend installing the following runtimes just to cover your bases: comctl32, comctl32.ecx, comdlg32.ocx, fm20, mfc40, vb2run, vb3run, vb4run, vb5run, vb6run, vcrun2003, vcrun2005, vcrun2008, vcrun2010, vcrun6, vcrun6sp6, wsh56.

Good luck.