[Wine] Cannot open Cloud Nine after installing

Shakkol wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 20 01:31:35 CDT 2010

This isn't a situation where the game is incompatible with Wine, so I'm going to cry about it. On the main website you can't get the downloader for the client unless you're using internet explorer. Easy enough, I can just get the "User Agent Switcher 0.7.2" and trick the site easily into thinking I'm using Internet Explorer - Got the downloader. Now I have to open it with Wine - no fuss at all; the program downloaded the installer with absolutely no problem.

Now comes the hard part.

When you go to play the game, the client opens Internet Explorer for you to log into the site. After logging you can click a "Game Start" button over the login box. The button uses Flash Player. I forgot if the Flash Player came with Wine IE, or if I installed it. All I remember is that I have it working in both Wine IE and Windows's Firefox 3.5. The reason I'm using 3.5 instead of the latest one is because the site's Game Start button requires that you have a Firefox addon. Download that and install it, but nothing happens. Try using the Wine Internet Explorer, and for some unknown reason the log in box is completely gone. So I can log into the site with Windows's Firefox, but can't do much with Wine IE.

Is there a trick to forcing Firefox to do install the addon? I know that this means I'm probably going to have a more experienced Wine user install the game and try to figure out what's wrong, but I'm completely new to Linux in general and made my first post today on the Ubuntu forums and at the end of the day received a total of 74 views of my post and absolutely no replies. Community is great there. I read the Sims forum post and I like how after 2 years after the original poster probably left Ubuntu or Linux altogether, they decide to try and bother with his post.

Thanks!