[Wine] Can't figure out how to put wineprefixes on an NTFS drive

Angus Hedger demidevil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 03:40:46 CDT 2010

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:42:55 -0500
"Kaisa" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Hi,

<snippy>
> But when I try to create a new wineprefix on my data partition, Wine
> suddenly doesn't like it. It gives me the following error message, if
> I try to do anything after setting the $WINEPREFIX:
> wine: /mnt/ntfs/.wineprefixes/foo is not owned by you
>
> I checked, and yes, it's owned by root. Somehow it feels wrong to run
> Wine as root, so I haven't tried that. Is there some other way to get
> this to work?

Dont run wine as root! See here [1] about changing the owner of the dir.

Putting wine prefixes on NTFS partitions might not be the best idea,
they are quite slow, and the cpu usage is quite high.

I have ran some stuff off my legacy NTFS partitions, so it does work,
for me! Caveat emptor.

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/1/chown

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97