[Wine] General Alawar games issue

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 21 09:16:02 CDT 2010

On 21 September 2010 14:12, OpalDragon <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> See bug 23374.  Originally, this was an issue raised for one particular game.   But my experiences with other games from the same company indicate that this may be a more widespread problem for their games.
>
> The original poster tried one of their "Strange Cases" games.  I've tried a "Natalie Brooks" and an "Alabama Smith" adventure.  Each keeps coming up with the same issue.  As originally posted in the bug, the program returns these errors when run from a command line:
>
> fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 4d004
> fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 4d004
> err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 1620 bytes in thread 0009 eip
> 7bc3f253 esp 00230cdc stack 0x230000-0x231000-0x330000
>
> At that point, execution stops.  Now some of the specifics can change from game to game, system to system, perhaps even one execution to the next, but the general layout of the issue is as shown.  The harddisk_ioctl issue I've seen in various incarnations in several other posts, but have not seen any resolution.
>
> Does anyone have ideas for what to do to fix these issues?

You might want to try different publishers of the games.

"Natalie Brooks: Mystery at Hillcrest High" works with Big Fish Games
for me. NOTE: You need to install IE6 via winetricks to get the Big
Fish Games client working:

   wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
   chmod 755 winetricks
   WINEPREFIX=~/BigFishGames ./winetricks ie6

To install the game, you can then run:

   WINEPREFIX=~/BigFishGames wine
~/Downloads/natalie-brooks-mystery-at-hillcrest-high_s1_l1_gF5352T1L1_d1039351947.exe

HTH,
- Reece