[Wine] Strange Font

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Sep 21 14:36:31 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 13:14 -0500, Euralis wrote:
> [Question]  okay, im not getting this... let me get this straight, i
> should not "run" wine under root user... can you define "run" for me
> please?

That's 'Run' as in 'execute wine or anything that runs under Wine'.

> I dont mean to argue, but on my distribution if you mean "install" by
> the term run, there is NO way to do that without being root.

All you need to do as root is to install or upgrade the
*Wine package(s)* with your distro's package installer. Nothing else is
either sensible or necessary.

'Running as root' means logging in as root, using su to become root or
running commands with sudo. None of these are needed except when you're
using your distro's package installer, and you do run a general package
update, e.g. 'yum upgrade', at least once a week, don't you.

> As far as i know, these rules apply to compiling as well. If i am
> wrong, which i must say is entirely possible, then could you tell me
> how thats done?

Everything else - running wine utilities, installing and running Windows
apps and running winetricks is done as a normal user. If you can't mount
and access CDs or serial ports or use the printer that's because your
Linux configuration is wrong: fix that instead of trying to bypass it by
running wine as root. In particular:

- if you can't access devices (e.g. CDs or serial ports) you'll need to
change the access permissions so you can. On most distros that means
either adding or changing UDEV rules or adding chmod and/or chown
commands to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

- fixing CUPS access has been covered here many times, so search the
forums.

Martin