[Wine] Kontakt doesn't respond to Akai USB MIDI Keyboard

cosmolee cosmolee at cosmolee.com
Tue Sep 21 21:21:42 CDT 2010

I wanted to follow up with the things I did to get things working.  Maybe it
will be of help to others...

Install   WineASIO drivers for your distribution.
Register the WineASIO drivers using a command such as:
I actually forgot what command I used, but you can Google it...

WINE: run `winecfg`, choose Audio tab>
Select Alsa driver
DirectSound pane: Default Sample Rate: 44100, Default Bits Per Sample: 16

Note: "Test Sound" test may fail if Jack is already running, but sound may
still eventually work.  If I tried to run the test, it locked up winecfg.
The way to unlock it is to quit Jack.

Run Jack: Setup> Settings>
	MIDI Driver: seq
Restart Jack for settings to take place.

Run Kontakt: `wine 'kontakt 4'`
Options>
	Audio> set Driver to "ASIO", set Device to "Wine ASIO Driver"
	MIDI> Inputs> Akai MPK88 Midi 1 to Port A

Go to Jack "Connections", in Audio tab, connect "ASIO_Kontakt 4" to "system"
Note: if you make changes to the audio drivers in winecfg, this may reset
the MIDI options in Kontakt, and you will have to redo them.

Hope that helps!

-Cosmo