[Wine] TF2 with GTX260 and Quad-core Phenom II - what performance?

RobbieThe1st wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 23 06:49:14 CDT 2010

I have a GTX260 216 core, running the latest Nvidia binary driver(260.xx). I have a Phenom II x4 3.2ghz, and 4GB of DDR3-1600 ram. All in all, not a bad system.

Now, my problem is that no matter what settings I use, I tend to get in the 30-50fps range with DX8.1. Lower if there's a lot of action onscreen. The interesting thing is that my frame-rate doesn't change significantly with resolution or settings: At all minimum/low settings and 1024x768 I get the same basic framerate that I do with a ~1920x1080 full-size window at max settings and 4xAA!
If I enable multicore, I get a few fps more, but I get the whole light-blinking-through-walls problem.
If I enable DX9, I get a more stable but much lower FPS, in the 15-25 range. And some HUD elements don't display, plus it sometimes just goes black. I haven't done too much testing of DX9 because of this.
I have GLSL enabled, and a configuration patch I found to make TF2 not crash on round end.
I always run TF2 with a virtual-desktop and TF2 itself fullscreen in that; if it matters.

I keep seeing people talk about getting 60-120+ FPS in the TF2 wine page, but I haven't gotten anything like that.

What I want to know is if this is normal for wine, or if I have something screwy with my install - Does anyone else have some knowledge of what typical TF2 framerates are, and some tweaks to make it better?

Currently I'm running Debian Squeeze x64, but I've run Kubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 with no difference.
As far as wine version, I'm currently running 1.3.2, and also have access to CrossoverGames(including nightlies) as an advocate. I've tried multiple versions over time, multiple Nvidia driver versions, but I haven't seen things get much better.

Let me know if there's something I can try, stuff I can tweak... any ideas or thoughts?

-Rob