[Wine] Problem with Wine on a Mac

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 25 17:14:18 CDT 2010

  On 9/25/10 12:56 PM, mlevin77 wrote:
> I'm trying to use Wine on an Intel Mac (OS 10.4.11) to run the Amazon Kindle for PC app. I've installed Wine following the instructions at
>
> http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
>
>     and when I do "wine KindleForPCinstaller.exe" from SH's $ prompt, it successfully creates the file "Kindle For PC.desktop" (which looks like a Windows shortcut or batch/shell file), although it does give the warnings
>
> fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {6e4fcb12-510a-4d40-9304-1da10ae9147c} not registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {6e4fcb12-510a-4d40-9304-1da10ae9147c} not registered
> err:ole:create_server class {6e4fcb12-510a-4d40-9304-1da10ae9147c} not registered
> fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {6e4fcb12-510a-4d40-9304-1da10ae9147c} could be created for context 0x17
>
>     But, now I can't seem to run it - it says
>
> wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\Users\mlevin\Desktop\Kindle For PC.desktop
>
>    how do I actually run the thing?

Find where it was installed using Finder by typing the following in
Terminal:

open $HOME/.wine

and then navigating to .wine/drive_c/Program Files

There should be a folder for the Kindle.

Open that file and then look for a file ending in .exe

In Terminal, type:

cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/<directory for Kindle Program>
wine <name of executable file>

Replace the <directory for Kindle Program> with the actual directory
name.  You will have to 'escape' the space character with a backslash
(\) character in front, like I did for the Program Files directory.
Replace the <name of executable file> with the actual file name
including the .exe extension.

Post back any information given to this forum 'thread'.

James McKenzie