[Wine] Lucid LTS: different Wine versions for 32 or 64 bits ?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:30:00 CDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Markorki <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I 've been using Wine 1.2 wjth Ubuntu 10.04-LTS an a 64bit Asus laptop for almost one year.
> In the beginning, everything worked OK (graphic refresh, focus, etc...). Now Wine works bad, I suppose some updates in Lucid do not suit Wine 1.2
> (?). I tried XP mode, W98 mode (my applications are oldies ;-), but the behaviour seems bad in any case.
> On this laptop, synaptic shows Wine 1.2 installed and unused packets to install 1.3.
> I would like to shift to 1.3, but how do I backup Wine 1.2 (except for a complete image of my system) ?

You don't have to 'backup' Wine 1.2.  You can install Wine 1.3.x on
top of your existing Wine installation and then if it does not work,
back out to the existing Wine 1.2 version using the facilities
available in Ubuntu.

> I have an other PC, a 32bit Athlon desktop, running Ubuntu 10.04-LTS too, always updated as proposed.  On this PC, actually running no Wine,
> Synaptic shows packets only for Wine 1.2 (and 1.0).
>
> Does it mean I have to install 1.2 to "see" a possible shift to 1.3, on does 1.3 only run on 64bits PCs ??
No, you do not have to install Wine 1.2 to go to Wine 1.3.x.  Wine
1.3.x runs on both 32 and 64 bit PCs as Andre pointed out.  I have
several Macs and one is 64 bit and the other 32 and it gets along just
fine on both.

One word of caution, DO NOT copy your .wine directory and move it to
the other PC.  This should not work and is not worth the hassle.

James McKenzie