[Wine] White boxes appearing instead of graphics.

KuroBit wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Apr 2 22:57:34 CDT 2011

Well, a few days ago I was using my XP laptop when I was unable to boot windows, I tried all sorts of things and couldn't get it to run, so I turned to Linux. I backed up all my stuff and today I installed Ubuntu (Maverick). In other words, I'm completely new to Linux.

I heard about Wine and I installed it and I can't believe how well it works o_o, but I seem to be having a reoccurring problem in almost all of the games I've tried so far. Either, all the of the 2D textures/sprites in the game appear as white (or sometimes colored) rectangles, as if the texture isn't loading. Also, for some games that the texture DOES load, the transparency is broken and the sprites are contained within a white rectangle.

I've done a bit of research and I've found that these games DO work on other's machines. I'm not sure if I have something configured wrong or if my graphics card isn't quite compatible with Wine or something...

If you need me to provide any more info, just tell me.

(I do a bit of game design so I hope my explanation made sense for people who don't know much about games...)

Thanks for reading.
Also as a side question, do most programs run slower compared to if you ran them natively through windows? I'd expect that they would, but I figured I should ask to make sure.