[Wine] Suggestion: Disable X

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:22:50 CDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Dadas <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello, i have a little suggestion: something like 'wine --no-x'
> It should disable any X output

That is already available, like Vitamin said.

> I need something like this, because i want to run Descent 3 dedicated server, however it creates status window so i can't run it in ssh :(
> Thanks

Some Windows 'command line' programs are actually real Windows
programs and need to use Windows functions.  That is why you see the
'status' window.  It is a real Window and thus the program really does
run Windows code.  Actual 32 bit 'DOS' programs use NO Windows GUI
code and thus do not 'pop up' any Winodws other than the one you
started the program in.

In other words, you are going to have to remote the X session from
Descent 3.  man ssh is your friend here on how to 'blow back' the X
session to your local computer.  ssh does have this capability, and if
you are running on a local Linux system, X is already there and ready
to help with displaying remote X.  You don't have to have Windows
popping up on the remote server....

James McKenzie