[Wine] creating built-in firewall for Wine

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 09:27:36 CDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:13 AM, oiaohm <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>> In short because native firewall knows almost nothing about the program. (But I could be mistaken.)
>>

> Linux firewall is able to do applications.  Few different ways.

One:  SELinux only exists on Red Hat type operating systems.
Two:  Can you prevent (and this is an actual case) IE from not
accessing the Internet but allowing Firefox to do so using native
Linux applications from inside Wine?  If you can, details please as
this is an actual situation that has been requested in a security
mailing list.

Yes, there is someone that wants to install IE7 inside of Wine, but
block all access from that program to the outside world but wants to
use Firefox from inside of Wine and allow access to the outside world.
 Right now they are using Windows Firewall to do this, but they want
the perceived security of Linux.  And they have been just about
everywhere trying to make this work.

See, it is EASY to say "You can do that", much harder to demonstrate how.

James McKenzie