[Wine] Re: creating built-in firewall for Wine

Boriso wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 8 01:33:54 CDT 2011

James McKenzie wrote:
> However, what you ARE
>
> looking for is what Windows calls 'firewalling', that is limiting the
>
> ability for a program to access the Internet.  UNIXs implement this
>
> through the TCPWrapper function and you are free to port this to Wine.
>
> It will be a huge task, but may be worth it as others have asked for
>
> the ability to do this.  However, this is 'outside' the scope of the
>
> Wine projects goals, as the Windows Firewall is outside the technical
>
> scope of building/reproducing the Windows API/ABI from what I
>
> understand (I may be wrong at this point.)

I looked through http://wiki.winehq.org/CategoryToDo and found no firewall or something similar, but here http://wiki.winehq.org/WineReleaseCriteria?action=show&redirect=WineReleasePlan one could find that "Wine add-ons" are already suggested and this is great. I think that Wine add-ons could made contributions more intensive.

In my opinion Wine is open but not very friendly with sharing information about the project. For example, there are many TODOs, wishlists, information about architecture, user manuals and so on. But there could be some pdf booklet or presentation (even in flash) that explains how Wine works, what are pros and cons, what is left to do.
This is kind of a marketing, but good external package is also important. In case you are talking about people who already know everything about Linux, Wine they do not need anything more, but for novices (like me) and ordinary desktop Linux users it is also important.

Anyway, I got many useful information from this topic. I also tested my idea about chaging ws2_32.c and it works fine. Now I'm going to examine Wine deeper.