[Wine] Re: state of OpenGL in software rendering

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 12 04:39:24 CDT 2011

Aerilius wrote:
> I'm not sure if I understand right.
>
> The developers of that application (SketchUp) say that it does for some features "OpenGL in software". I have a graphics card, so I would have hardware acceleration. But those features don't make use of hardware acceleration.
> How do I tell a windows application to use mesa OpenGL?

OpenGL is OpenGL. It's always supposed to be hardware accelerated. What vitamin is talking about is a software implementation of OpenGL for Linux/X called Mesa, which makes the system emulate OpenGL for you. Note that it IS slow, however.

If your application has a "software mode", it is not using OpenGL for this mode, because OpenGL is pretty much always accelerated (unless you specifically emulate it).