[Wine] Re: Installing latest Wine on Debian

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 12 07:33:52 CDT 2011

F_style wrote:
> I installed Wine using the Lamaresh repo for Debian, but unlike openSUSE's repos, I found out that it installs and old version: 1.1.42. Is there some repo for Debian where I can install latest version from? Or should I better try building it from source?
>
> Sorry if it's a silly question. Thanks.

No, it's not a silly question. Unfortunately, there haven't been any official Debian packages since the Debian Wine package maintainer stepped down last year.  There won't be until a Debian user volunteers to build them.

Someone did post a link to an unofficial Debian package awhile ago. Use at your own risk: http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

The other choice is to build from source. People have reported that the instructions in the wiki for building on 64 bit Debian are outdated, and I don't know if anyone has updated them since (probably not).