[Wine] How to let a Windows App talk to a Windows Scanner Driver

brianschimmel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 12 08:33:32 CDT 2011

Hi there,

I know that Wine usually offers the system's SANE scanners to Windows applications using a custom implementation of the twain.dll.

In my case, I'm using a network scanner which has no linux drivers (Canon ImageRunner 2200). I was able to successfully install the Windows driver on Wine, and the ScanGear Tool that comes with the driver reports that the Scanner is online and the communication is working. (Since no direct hardware access is involved and all communication to the scanner is carried out over TCP/IP, I'm not even sure if this is a "real driver" from the technical point of view)

However, Windows applications cannot access the scanner, and I think this is because of Wine's custom TWAIN implementation. Is it possible to deactivate this and use the standard TWAIN from Windows? I do have access to an installation of Windows XP SP3, but I have no idea which files to copy and how to disable Wine's implementation.

Any help would be very appreciated. Best regards,
Brian Schimmel